1850 Money was raised for a new church. Fifty-six members withdrew from Third Street Church, formed a Methodist Society and erected a building at the junction of Fourth Street and Third Alley on a lot purchased for $1,000.00 from Catharine and Jesse Hare. The church was first called Fourth Street Station, but the name was changed to Court Street Station when Fourth Street was changed to Court Street.
1851 A brick structure with a ground floor basement and an auditorium above it was built at a cost of about $19,000.00 and dedicated on June 29, 1851. The organ was a melodeon type. Pews, ranging in price from $100 to $355, were offered for sale to pay off the debt.
1860 The name of the Church was changed to Court Street Methodist Episcopal Church.
1863 An ornamental iron railing around the church was given to the government, presumably to be made into bullets for the use of the Confederate Army.
1866 A pipe organ was installed, which was the second pipe organ in the city.
1898 A decision was made to build a new church, not to cost less than $40,000.
1901 Last service was held in the original building before it was torn down. The Sunday School annex was erected first and used for all services until the church itself was completed.
1902 The entire building was finished at a total cost of $80,000. “With thanksgiving and praise to God” the structure was presented to Him free of debt.
1909 Ten bells, called a “chime” were installed in the tower.
1926 The Sunday School building was remodeled, modernized, and enlarged. The number of members at that time was 1,216. Sunday School enrollment was 1,010, and there were 444 members of the Woman’s Missionary Society.
1939 The name of the Church was changed to Court Street Methodist Church.
1968 The name of the Church was changed to Court Street United Methodist Church with the merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church.
1981 The Schantz organ was installed in the sanctuary.
1995 Renovations costing $1,300,000.00 were made, including electrical, plumbing, and other infrastructure improvements, reflecting a commitment by members to remain in downtown Lynchburg.
Copyright © 2018 Court Street United Methodist Church - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder